Tuesday, October 19, 2010

books!

Here are some more images of books that I've been working on this semester. They are bound in non traditional ways, using the materials to more fully reinforce the content. The first is a book exploring the use of sound. I created an mp3 recording to go along with it, however, I can't upload the file (so you won't be experiencing it to the fullest). This book is enclosed in an envelope and consists of seven pages - the imagery on the pages includes scanned and manipulated correspondences I have received from Compassion International throughout the span of time I've been sponsoring a little girl from Thailand. Throughout the years I've been sending money to Ban, I feel as though I've become severely jaded to the act. I'm also conflicted by the fact that I never write back to her. And I don't really plan on it. I have no words for her. It's a pretty strange compartment of my life...






Mail art anyone??

For this second book I definitely feel like I got back to my roots. About one year ago in a monotype printmaking class I utilized this form, but on a much larger scale as an installation piece. The similarities between this book and my older project include a household/row of houses constructed into an accordion book, as well as using thread to make marks and hold the piece together. In the more recent exercise I decided to incorporate images of the 1950s housewife lifestyle. 








That's it for now, folks! Here's another beautiful song and video for you to enjoy! My new favorite...Mumford and Sons

No comments: